Thursday, February 12, 2015

Real American Heroes

Sitting on the couch at a Super Bowl party recently, I noticed a large number of girls - all elementary aged - migrating towards a television as the half-time show was beginning.  This gaggle of girls did not pay particular attention to the football game being played during the first half, but were motivated to find a clear viewing angle now.

Why?  What motivated the girls to forgo the entertainments that provided enjoyable distraction just moments before? There was no formal announcement; no one instructed them to stop what they were doing and come over to the screen.

My answer came from a loquacious little girl squeezing me over to a paltry 1/4 of the cushion - my daughter.  "Dad, I can't wait to hear Katy Perry sing!"

Katy Perry - and her celebrity hero status - was the reason.

Now, Katy Perry is quite talented. That tiger she rode in on was one of the coolest things I've seen recently second only to the star on which she flew around the stadium. Evergreen even voted for one of her songs as a theme song for last year's Math Olympics competition.  But, to ascribe her hero status seems a bit of a stretch.

American culture does this all the time.  Somehow we end up idolizing athletes and celebrities, who are talented, but who do not always display the qualities that are emblematic of heroes.

Today, I would like to quickly introduce you to one person who I believe should be considered a real American hero.

Mary McLeod Bethune:


Born in South Carolina in 1875, Mary spent her life devoted to the cause of bettering the educational opportunities of African-American children. With very little money - reportedly only $1.50, Mary founded a school in Daytona Beach, Florida for black girls.  She tirelessly raised additional money for the school so the girls could receive a quality education.  Over time, the school became quite successful and grew to become Bethune-Cookman University.  Mary's influence grew along with it.  She was elected president of the National Association of Colored Women and even became an unofficial adviser to President Franklin Roosevelt!



Respect, integrity, dependability and  effort are certainly hallmarks of her character.  Do those qualities remind you of any expectations here at Evergreen?  Do you know anyone in your own life who displays these characteristics?  Do you know any real American heroes?

I would love to hear about these heroes, so please share them with me in the comment section below. Please be sure to include which quality you see displayed in your hero and how they demonstrate that quality!






7 comments:

  1. I did not watch the Superbowl but that sounds cool. A hero in my life is my Dad because he always helps me. My dad is dependable because he is always there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling us your story about the super bowl I didn't watch the Superbowl. My mom is my hero because she is dependable I can count on her to always be there for me.When I feel sick she takes care of me .When I feel mad she calms me down. I can depend on her to make me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch the Superbowl but it sounds cool. My grandma is my hero because she helps me get to school on time. My grandma is very dependable. My grandma wakes me up and helps me get ready for school everyday. I love my grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the Superbowl and my favorite part was when Katy Perry sang on the tiger. One person in my life that is always dependable is Mrs. Pringle she always believes in me. She is one of the best teachers a student can have. She always has faith in me. That is why Mrs. Pringle is my hero

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story about the Superbowl. I do not have a hero in my life. I would like to have a hero to help teach me things as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't watch the Superbowl but that sounds fun. A hero in my life is my friend Martina. Martina is very dependable she always helps me when I need it. I wish more people were like Martina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoyed reading about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a kid. I liked reading about her because I wanted to be a teacher and I felt that her life showed true courage. It is so awesome to read your comments about everyday heroes. Many people can teach us lessons about courage!

    ReplyDelete