Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Four 4s

Today, I am pleased to present you with a guest post from our Academic Coach for Mathematics - Mrs. Realley:

The Four 4s

As the Math Coach, I love challenging myself with cool problems to solve.  One of my favorites is The Four 4s.  This problem asks “Can you find each number 0 through 10 using only four 4s and any operation?”  For example, I can find 0 by doing 4-4+4-4.  How many of the numbers can you find?


If you enjoyed this challenge, you can find more like it at


or http://nrich.maths.org/primary-upper (for 3-5 students). 

In the comments, let me know how many of the numbers 0-10 you were able to find.  Or tell me about an interesting math problem or game that challenged you. 


Mrs. Realley

10 comments:

  1. Love your blog !!! This is fun and challengeing Thank You for challenging our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A certain math game that challenged me was Tetris because you have to place the blocks correctly to complete the level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Tetris too! I play an app on my iPhone that is similar to that - it is called 1010!

      Delete
  3. I love what you put!!!I love math a lot.It can help you in school and in the real world

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your blog but I don't know that question but I will think about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your blog! Unfortunately, I could only find 8. 4-4+4+4=8. But it was fun to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I played a challenging game its a game Mrs.Costello put on class room it was challenging because I did not know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your blog so much! One game that challenged me was rubix cube

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo math, I'm really not a math person but the math problem sounds easy, let me try [ 2-2 + 2-2] is that right? that WAS easy. Thank you for sharing the math problem and this blog

    ReplyDelete